Family Law FAQs

Will my spouse/other party have to pay my attorney fees?
The general rule is that each party is responsible for their own attorney fees.  However, in many family law cases, under certain circumstances, a judge may order the other party to pay some or all of your reasonable attorney fees.

Can I move/relocate with my children?  How far can I move?
As of July of 2006, any party with a parenting time or custodial interest, must notify the opposing party in writing through the court 90 days prior to any move.  (This is true even if the move is right across the street.)

Can I make my husband/wife move out of our residence?
Generally, not without a court order for temporary possession of the home.  If domestic violence is involved, then you can obtain a protective order and the person would have to leave the residence.

How can I obtain a Protective Order/Restraining Order against my significant other?
If there is domestic violence, stalking, or sexual abuse, you can petition the court for a Protective Order at 213 W. Berry St. (Courthouse Annex).  Under certain circumstances, the court may grant the Order immediately.

How much child support will I have to pay?  Or how much will I receive?
Child support is determined primarily based upon the parties’ incomes, amounts paid for health insurance, day care costs, and the number of overnights the non-custodial parent will have the child(ren) in their care.

  • Van Gilder & Trzynka, P.C.
    436 East Wayne Street
    Fort Wayne, IN 46802
    Map and Directions
  • New Haven office
    435 Ann Street
    New Haven, IN 46774
    Map and Directions
  • Phone: 260-424-8132
    Toll Free: 888-255-7910
    Fax: 260-969-5361