Worker’s Compensation FAQs

How long can I wait before I file a claim?
The general rule is that you must file a claim with the Indiana Workman’s Compensation Board within two years of the injury.  There are exceptions, but to be on the safe side, two years.

If I am injured at work, what is my employer required to pay?
Generally, under Indiana Workman’s Compensation laws, your employer is required to pay for your medical bills if injured while working, your time off work if longer than seven days, and a final settlement if a physician finds that you have a permanent impairment.

Does my employer have to pay for pain and suffering?
Employers are not required to pay for pain and suffering.

Can I sue my employer for my personal injuries beyond the Workman’s Compensation coverage?
Generally, no.  If you are injured at work or in the course of your employment, your only remedy or course of action is under the Indiana Workman’s Compensation Statutes. If, however, you can prove that someone other than your employer caused the injury, then you might be able to sue that party, including for pain and suffering.


  • Van Gilder & Trzynka, P.C.
    436 East Wayne Street
    Fort Wayne, IN 46802
    Map and Directions
  • New Haven office
    435 Ann Street
    New Haven, IN 46774
    Map and Directions
  • Phone: 260-424-8132
    Toll Free: 888-255-7910
    Fax: 260-969-5361